Popular Posts

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Healthy Herbed Meat Sauce and Farfalle

My favorite thing about summer is the garden.  I have a very, very small garden and I grow tomatoes, peppers, garlic and herbs.  One of these days I'll have a garden where I can grown corn, beans, cucumbers, squash, potatoes and more,  the sky is the limit, but right now I'm happy with my little garden.  Tonight I made a meat sauce and I used fresh herbs from the garden, basil, oregano, thyme, Italian parsley and rosemary.  This is a really simple dish; first thing, I got my pasta going.  Then I chopped 5 cloves garlic, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 green pepper and 1/2 vidalia onion and sauteed them in 1 tbs of EVOO until they were softened.  I took 1lb of Laura's Lean ground beef w/ 4% fat and a and little fresh parmigiana reggiano.  I served it over farfalle, but you could use whatever pasta you like. One thing I would like to mention is that tonight while making the dish, I was conscience of not adding additional salt to anything.  Not the best idea, because pasta really needs salt and this pasta didn't have any flavor.  I recommend adding salt to the pasta water.  The sauce was fine with no added salt especially with the cheese.  If you want something healthy then I would give this dish a try.  Good Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment