Popular Posts

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sausage & Peppers with Polenta

Last night we did sausage, peppers and polenta.  I've never made polenta before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  Polenta is just cornmeal cooked in boiling water.  I used an instant polenta, so it only took about 1 minute to cook.  Polenta is a very popular dish in northern Italy and preferred over pasta dishes.  I began by preheating my oven  to 350 degrees and then I took 1 lb of sweet Italian sausage, if you use links be sure to remove the casing and break into pieces.  I browned the sausage in a large skillet.  While the sausage cooked I julienned 1 green bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper and 1 jalapeno pepper and tossed them into the sausage.  I added about 1/4 C of chicken stock and just let this saute for about 5 minutes until the peppers softened and most of the stock had cooked off.  I removed the skillet from the heat and transferred the sausage and peppers to bowl.  I then cooked the polenta, which only took 1 minute to cook.  I then poured the polenta in the skillet and spread out in the pan.  I drizzled a little EVOO over top and then placed the sausage and peppers over the top of the polenta.  I placed this into the oven and baked for 20 minutes.  After is was finished baking, I generously sprinkled the dish with parmigiana reggiano.  That was all there was too it.  I was surprised how yummy it really was.  We both had leftovers for lunch and agreed it was just as good the next day.  Buen Appetito until next time.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great, we sometimes buy the "log-o-Polenta" in the tube for a quuick side dish , I am going to try topping it with the sausage,peppers, evoo and cheese.

    ReplyDelete