Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chorizo & Chicken Tex Mex

I'm back at the Chorizo again and this time it was a success, yay!!  If you're not familiar with Chorizo, it's a spanish sausage loaded with paprika and spices.  It has a very strong flavor and I think it works well with chicken.  The chicken will absorb the flavors of the Chorizo and sometimes it's not necessary to add extra spices when you cook with it.  This dish tonight is loaded with flavor and textures, so lets get started.   You will  need:  2 Chorizo sausages, casing removed torn into bite size pieces, 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken thighs rinsed & patted dry, 3 cloves garlic chopped, juice of 1 lime, 1/2 of 1 red bell pepper julienned, 1/2 of 1 green bell pepper julienned, 1 jalapeno julienned (I didn't remove the seeds), 1/2 Spanish onion sliced thin, 2 tbs tomato paste, 1/4 C low fat sour cream, 1/4 C heavy cream, 2 tsp hot hungarian paprika, 2 tsp cumin,  S&P, 1 tbs EVOO, for garnish -3 scallions chopped, 1/2 avocado sliced/ 1/4 C cilantro chopped and 1/4 C shredded monterey jack cheese.  You will also need your favorite rice to serve this with.  I used 1 C basmati rice and simmered it in 1.5 C of chicken stock for 20 minutes after it was brought to a boil.  Now let's make the meal- I took a large skillet and added the EVOO and heated on med high heat for about 3-4 minutes.  I seasoned the chicken thighs with S&P on both sides and added the whole chicken thighs and the garlic to the skillet and let the thighs brown on each side for 2-3 minutes and removed them from the pan.  I then added the Chorizo pieces, lime juice and the peppers and onions, stirred them and let them cook for about 5 minutes.  The lime juice will deglaze the skillet and add a bit of acidity. While that was cooking I cut my chicken thighs into bite size pieces and added them back to the skillet with the Chorizo and peppers.  I added the spices, tomato paste, sour cream and the heavy cream to the skillet, stirred it in and then reduced the heat to low and let this simmer for 5 more minutes.  At this point is was really getting thick so I added less than 1/4 C water. I continued to simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes until chicken was cooked thru.  I removed the skillet from the heat and let it rest covered for about 5 minutes.  I served the Chorizo & Chicken over the basmati rice and garnished it with the a sprinkle of shredded cheese, scallions, cilantro and wedges of avocado.  Give it a try, it's easy, quick and really yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment