Popular Posts

Monday, August 22, 2011

Sunday Supper

Louis whipping us some beans
Autumn's Banana Pudding
We had a wonderful Sunday supper with my in-laws, the whole gang was there my momma and papa in law, mamaw in law, my sister and brother and law, my niece and nephew and my cousin in laws, and my hubby.  My papa-in-law Louis cooked up some serious Louisiana cuisine (they are from Mississippi and Louisiana, so they kind know their cajun food).  I would give you the recipes, but it's pretty much a little of this, little of that, with a pinch and a dash of that too.  He's a great cook and he just has everything he makes in his head.  My sister-in-law takes after her father, because her recipe for her amazing banana pudding was similar to her dad's.  She said you use some bananas, banana pudding, sweetened condensed milk and whip cream.  Yeah, I think I can do that:o).  Anyway, we had a feast with "authentic" cajun dirty rice made with fried chicken livers, spicy baked beans, bbq chicken slathered with this amazing spicy, sweet, savory bbq sauce (definitely umami).  I'll try to get the recipe.  My father in law kind of gave me the recipe for the dirty rice and it goes like this, saute your trinity (onion, celery and green pepper) until soft, set aside.  Fry the chicken livers until done and then chop them finely and add this along with the trinity to 5 C of rice and chicken stock and cook until done.  Oh, and don't forget the S&P.  The finished rice is sticky and not wet. It was a an amazing Sunday Supper not only because of the food, but because we were together as a family.  Thank you all for a wonderful Sunday Supper!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Love Cajun Cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv Cajun too! Wish they had actual recipes that could b passed on to future gens.

    ReplyDelete