Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Quick Chicken Curry and Vegetables

You may have noticed by looking at my blog that I really like curry flavors.  I haven't yet made my own curry spice mixture, but I'm working on it. Until then I use a curry powder that I bought from Jungle Jim's which is this huge market that sells everything food wise that a foodie would love.  It's just an amazing store and I spend hours and lots of $$ every time I go.  If you haven't been, take a road trip and check it out, you won't be disappointed.

This dish is very easy, very quick and tastes great.    I got my curry rice going which consists of 1 C basmati rice, 1tbs butter, 1 tsp of curry powder, 1 tsp kosher salt,  1.5 C chicken stock.  Just put all this in a pot and cook, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook about 20 minutes.  Let the rice rest for about 10 minutes after cooking and fluff with a fork.  Now the curry chicken and veggie is really easy, tonight I just used what I had on hand, 1.5 lbs organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (rinsed in cold water and patted dry) cut into bite size pieces, 1 tbs EVOO,  3 garlic cloves chopped, 2 C broccoli florets,  1/2 C frozen peas, 2 C fresh baby spinach leaves, 1/2 C heavy cream,  1/2 C chicken stock, 1.5 tbs curry powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp garam masala, 1tsp hot Hungarian paprika 1 tsp kosher salt.  I added the EVOO to a large skillet and heated it over med high heat for about 2 minutes and added the chicken pieces and chopped garlic and coated them with oil and just sauteed it for about 3-4 minutes until all sides if chicken were no longer pink.  I added the broccoli, chicken stock, broccoli and peas, salt, spices and continued to simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes.  I then added the heavy cream and stirred the mixture, and let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes.  I then stirred in the spinach, reduced the heat to low, covered and simmered for about 3-4 minutes.  I removed the skillet from the heat and just let it rest, covered, for about 10 minutes.  I served the chicken over the curry rice and garnished with a spring of cilantro and crushed red pepper.  I wish  I would have had some naan bread on hand to dip in the creamy sauce, but maybe next time.  I hope you try this dish.  It's really easy, quick and yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment