Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

I wanted to make stuffed poblano peppers tonight, but I had to rethink because my poblano peppers from the garden were just too small.  So tonight I've made for you a Mexican Lasagna.  Now keep in mind if you make this dish you can really use whatever you have on hand, substitutions are great, so be creative. What I used:  8" flour tortillas cut in half (I would wait to cut the tortillas because the size of your baking pan will determine how many halves you need).  For the Filling: I used 1lb of 93/7 ground turkey, 1 chorizo sausage, 1/2 lb of veal (these meats were in frig and I needed to use them), but you can use whatever you have turkey, lamb, beef, chicken whatever and it doesn't have to be ground meat, you could use any meat cut into bite size pieces.  I also chopped 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 poblano pepper, 1/2 red onion, 1 jalapeno, 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, 3 cloves of garlic. I used 1 C frozen corn, 1.5 tbs hot paprika, 1.5 tbs cumin, 1 tsp coriandor, 1 tsp marjoram or oregano, S& P for taste, 1 15 oz can of beans rinsed & drained (whatever you have on hand), 1 14 oz can of tomato sauce.  You will also need 2 C of monterey jack cheese and I also added 4 oz of cotija cheese (this is a cheese from Mexico and is hard and crumbly, similar to feta but not as salty). For garnish a handful of chopped cilantro several scallions chopped.  Let's cook!!  Preheat your oven to 425.  Take a large skillet and add your meats and heat over medium heat and brown the meat and break it up as it cooks 5-7 minutes, add your peppers, onion, spices, beans, corn, and tomato sauce and let simmer for about 5 minutes.  Now it's time to start the layers for your lasagna: meat mixture, tortillas, cheese and just layer it  until you are either out of the mixture or tortillas.  Place your lasagna in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cheesed is bubbly and lightly browned.  Garnish with your cilantro and scallions.  *NOTE I only had 2 layers, so next time when I get to the last layer of tortillas I think I will save some meat mix to place over the final tortilla layer and then top with cheese, or maybe an additional cup of cheese. Try it and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment