Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I'm Chili!!

Winter is the best time for chili! I made a pot last weekend and that's what me and my honey are having tonight. Before I get into my "recipe", I must tell you I don't have one! I've tried to make chili for many years. I've made vegetarian, white chili, with pork, veal, lamb, chili with cubes of sirloin, chili with beer, with coffee, with just about everything and it has pretty much sucked every time. Until.....I found the secret. Me and my honey love to take our atv's on overnight trips (camping), not in a hotel, b&b, cabin or lodge. So I've gotten creative cooking up one pot meals on our Coleman stove (outside). So, I thought why not chili, but it needs to be fairly quick, b/ c after a long day of riding the last thing I want to do is spend hours preparing a meal. Anyway, if you haven't tried this- you might want to consider "Carroll Shelby's" chili kit (available at Kroger in that weird aisle with those pre packaged gravy and sauces mixes). The kit contains 4 pkgs; seasoning, cayenne, masa and salt (which I dont include, b/c I think it's too salty) you add 2 lbs of Laura's Lean Ground beef (4% fat), 14.5 oz can tomato sauce or tomatoes, canned beans whatever is your fav, I use 2 cans in stead of one can of black beans (rinsed and drained), I also sauté an onion and a green pepper. Just follow the directions on the package and you will have a delicious pot of chili in about 30 minutes & that includes prep. Serve it w/ shredded cheese and sour cream if you like. I like pasta and sometimes rice w/ mine too! Anyway, there you have it! Hey, btw If anyone would like to share their favorite chili recipe- I would love to try it! Until next time Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment