Popular Posts

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Louis's Jambalaya

Since we can't be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, I decided we could celebrate here in Ohio. My hubby and his family are from the South and spent time in New Orleans and Metairie, so I asked my father-n-law, who just happens to be an awesome cook, if he had a recipe for Jambalaya. The recipe he gave me was awesome, not only b/c it tasted fabulous, but because it made me think!! Here's how it goes: 1 large onion, 1 large bell pepper, 3 stalks celery, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cups chicken stock, 1 cup rice, meat (sausage, chicken or other), 2 bay leaves, spices ( paprika thyme parsley worchestershire cayenne tabasco salt pepper Tony Chaceres) tomato paste if necessary.


Sauté trinity in olive oil, add chicken stock meat and spices, add 1 to 2 cups water, add rice. Cook until rice is plump. You want it just a little moist - not wet not dry. Sometimes I let it cook for 3 hours on low.

What I love about his recipe is that it was up to me to figure out the seasonings and moisture based on my taste. I'm sure that the amt of seasonings and liquids that I added are probably different than my Pops, but overall I think that he would approve.  Although, I think next time I will check and stir the Jambalaya while cooking, b/c my rice was a bit toothsome. I've never made Jambalaya, so I cooked it like I would cook rice, "cover and cook until done-and don't check".  Oh, yeah I chose to use a combo of Andouille Sausage, chicken breast and chicken thighs. Thank you Pops for sharing your recipe and knowledge. I will be in touch to get your gumbo and creole recipes.

2 comments:

  1. C'est magnifique.... Booyah!

    How about some gumbo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon. Cooked tonight at moms. Potluck Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete