Popular Posts

Monday, May 2, 2011

Dressed Up Zataran's Red Beans & Rice

A lot going on since my last post.  My dad has been in the hospital, we've been doing some rehab our circa 1822 home and my honey had to go to the ER because he fell off the roof.  With all that's been going on cooking has been put on the back burner, but tonight I decided lets get into again, but in an instant kind of way.  Tonight we took a box of low sodium Zataran's Red Beans & Rice, 1lb of 85/15 organic ground beef, 1 can red beans rinsed and drained, 1 bell pepper diced, 1 small onion diced and 1tsp of cumin.  I started the meal by browning my ground beef with the pepper and onion and cumin in a large pan.  After the meat was browned I added the package of the Zataran's and the red beans to the pan and added 3 C of water.  I brought it to a boil, covered and reduced and simmered for 25 minutes.  I then removed it from the heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes.  We served the dish with some shredded Colby Jack  cheese, a dollop of reduced fat sour cream and few dashes of Louisiana Habanero Hot Sauce.  That's all their was to it.  Not difficult and really tasty when just want something quick.  Total time to prepare and cook about 45 minutes, but during the cook time I was able to finish up some laundry.  Good times!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment