Popular Posts

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Campanelle Pasta, Grilled Pork Chops & Grilled Asparagus

I know it seems like I do alot of the same things over and over, but when I find something I like I....So tonight we grilled some pork chops.  These guys were huge, probably 1.5" thick.  I created this rub, which consisted of lots of paprika, a little cumin, a little onion & garlic powder,  a little thyme, a little kosher salt, and a dash of cayenne.  I put all of these in a little container and shook the heck out of them until they were mixed in.  I generously sprinkled the rub on my my chops and let them sit at room temp for about 30 minutes.  Then they were grilled until they reached a temp of about 140 and then we let them rest.  You can tent them with foil, but I find that they will continue to cook when they are removed from the grill and in our case reach the perfect temp of 145. Yes, it all worked out fine,  but here is how it began.  While I was preparing the chops, Will got the charcoal going.  Folks let me remind you that when you ask you husband to get the grill going that is ALL he thinks he is expected of doing!!!  Long story short, 2 people CANNOT BBQ together unless you're the Neely's, so needless to say we got into several arguments because our expectations were different.  Have you read the book Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus?  You should, it really helps explain the differences between the sexes and may or may not help you avoid bickering and arguing (it didn't help tonight, but I was reminded of the book).   Anyway, after all the bickering and cussing we ended up with some really beautiful chops and some delicious grilled asparagus.  We also had this Campanelle pasta, which I had never had.  It's like Farfalle (bow tie pasta) with a twist.  I like the way they looked so I thought I would give them a try.  The pasta dish is so easy, you will  need 6 cloves of garlic roughly chopped, 2 tbs butter, 2 tbs EVOO, and 2 tsp of red chili flakes, 1/4 C dry white wine, 1/4 C half & half, 1/4 C fresh basil chiffonade, S&P to taste and parmigiano reggiano.  Heat a small pan over med heat, add your butter & EVOO until butter is melted, add garlic and saute for about 2-3 minutes, add your pepper flakes, cream and wine and just continue to simmer for about 5-7 minutes, gently stirring.  When the pasta finishes cooking, reserve a C of pasta water and drain the pasta and place back in the pot, add the garlic and butter mixture and the fresh basil and gently toss the pasta, and add the pasta water just to keep it loose.  Serve the pasta with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and fresh ground pepper.    That's how we rolled tonight.  Despite the bickering and arguing, we had a delicious meal, funny conversation after the fact and a yummy meal for lunch.  Any suggestions or questions? Bon Appetito!!

No comments:

Post a Comment