Popular Posts

Monday, February 21, 2011

President's Day Comfort Food

Bo Peep Pie
The dish we are having tonight is a great comfort food on this cold and rainy President's Day. I would say that it's a Shepherd's Pie, but Guy Fieri calls it Bo Peep Pie and you can find it on the Food Network. The recipe has 4 major steps; sautéing your meat and onions, roasting your veg and garlic, making the mashed potatoes, and lastly putting it all together to bake. I decided that instead of using the Italian Pork Sausage and the ground Sirloin, I used Italian Turkey Sausage and 99% fat free ground Turkey, and I used Chicken Stock. Also, for the mashed potatoes I added 4 tbs butter instead of 6 and I added 1/2 container of Boursin Cheese, which isn't called for, and the remaining ingredients roasted garlic and the Asiago Cheese, Milk, and some S&P. Those are the only deviations that I made and then I followed the recipe that Guy created. This dish is fairly simple, but requires a bit of time. You could probably create a day ahead and then pop in the oven the next day for 1.25 hours at 350 degrees. It's a nice looking dish and it really tasted great! Those mashed potatoes on top had a nice crunch and meshed so well with the lower meat & roasted veg mixture. I would also suggest that you let it sit for 30 minutes after removing from oven, because the meat mixture ends up sliding out from underneath the potatoes giving your first serving most of the meat mix. I will definitely make this dish again. We served this with some crunchy toasted Peasant Loaf.  Good Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment