Popular Posts

Monday, March 28, 2011

Beef Stir Fry

I went to Jungle Jim's over the weekend and picked up some really great veggies and really nice sized beef tenderloin.  If you've never been there you should definitely go, but be prepared to spend at least 1/2 day and lots of money when you go.  Like I said I picked up this 7 lb beef tenderloin that had to be prepared by cutting off the fat, silver skin and just misc stuff.  I watched a video on you tube to learn how to prepare it.  Anyway, after cleaning up the tenderloin, I saved the leftover pieces for my beef stir fry.  Yes, we used about 1.5 lbs of beef tenderloin in our stir fry tonight.  Mmm!!!  First thing I did when I got  home was to place the meat in the freezer for about 15 minutes (makes it easier to cut  into thin strips).  I got my medium grained rice going (I usually use basmati, but I found that the medium grain rice cooks up really starchy and really absorbs the juices of the stir fry).  I've done many stir fry's sauces, but tonight I decided to go online and try this Basic Stir Fry Sauce.  I doubled the batch and also added to it 1 1tsp of honey and 1/8 C more of the chicken broth.  The sauce becomes very thick, so you'll probably need to add some extra water or broth.  For my stir fry I used green beans, sugar snaps, onions, mushrooms, red pepper, jalapenos, celery, carrots, and broccoli.  I stir fried the veggies in 1tbs of canola oil for about 5 minutes, removed from the wok and added my beef and stir fried it for until almost cooked thru.  I drained off the juices and added the veggies back into the wok with the beef, stirred it and stirred in about 3/4 of the stir fry sauce.  I continued to stir fry for about 5 minutes, removed from the heat and served it over the rice in these really cute little bowls that were made by a local potter that we got in Yellow Springs, OH.  I love how the chop sticks rest on the bowls.  BTW, don't forget to season your beef with S&P before you stir fry.  I forgot to season it and the flavor was rather bland.  Overall, it was good, but it would've been even better if I had seasoned the beef.  Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment