Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tex Mex Tuesday

I don't know about you, but I love Tex Mex and Mexican flavors.  I could eat it every nite.  Tonight I just threw this together fairly quickly while watching the food network.  I took some ground sirloin, some rice, and those leftover beans and created something that I thought was really tasty, very easy and fairly quick. I started out by making my seasoning for the beef, if I'm in a hurry I will by a package of taco seasoning, but those are just loaded with salt.  Anyway, for the seasoning you will need (please note that you won't need all of this for this dish, so safe it for later use):  1tbs chili powder, 3 tbs cumin, 1 tbs paprika, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp coriander, 3 tsp Kosher salt and 1 tbs corn starch.  Put all the ingredients in a ziploc bag and shake it up and set aside.  For my rice, I took 1 C of basmati rice, 1.5 C chicken stock, 1/2 tsp turmeric (gives it the yellow color) and 2 tsp salt.  I added all to  a medium pot, brought to a boil, covered the pot, reduced heat and simmered for 20 minutes.  While your rice is cooking, go ahead and chop one jalapeno, 1/4 red pepper, 1 small red onion, 1 handful of cilantro and mash 1 Avocado (go ahead and squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime onto the mashed avocado-will keep from turning brown.)  Now go ahead and add your ground sirloin, jalapeno, red pepper and 3/4 of the chopped onion to a large skillet.  Reserve the rest of the onion for a garnish along with the cilantro.  Brown your beef/veg mix over medium heat and stir it occassionally breaking the beef  into small pieces.  Once the beef is browned add 3 tbs of your spice mixture to the skillet and thoroughly mix in with the beef and veggies and cook about 2 minutes.  Add 1/2 C of beef broth or water and cook down until your mixture is the consistency of a sloppy joe mix.  Now for the beans, you can buy canned refried beans, but I had soup beans leftover, so  I took about 3 C of the beans and put them into a small sauce pan and heated them over med heat until they had a low boil going.  I then took my immersion blender and blended the beans to a smooth consistency and cooked them down until they were a thick creamy texture. That's all there was too it.  I added a little sour cream, my avocado, some grated mexican cheese and garnished with cilantro and the remaining red onion.  Let's Eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment