Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Roasted Chicken & Potatoes with Steamed Green Beans

This dish is semi-homemade and semi-healthy.  I'm sorry to say that I steamed my green beans in 2 tbs of bacon fat and 1/4 C chicken broth w/ some S&P for about 25 minutes (that's where the semi-healthy comes in).  FYI,  Unless I'm using green beans in a salad or asian dish, I typically will cook them to the very, very tender stage ( not baby food).  I haven't brined chicken before, so I brined my bone in chicken breast for a day (see previous post for brining).  Not sure I'm totally sold on the brining poultry and roasting, because the chicken had an interesting texture that I didn't hate, but didn't love either.  BTW, I always use organic, free range chicken, so that's not a factor.  Began by preheating my oven to 425 on bake convection mode.  I took 1/2 C panko, 1/2 C italian bread crumbs, 1 pkg of french onion soup dry mix, 8 baby yukon gold potatoes quartered, EVOO, 2 bone in chicken breasts that had been brined. I mixed the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.  I took my potatoes and drizzled them with EVOO and then placed them in the dry mixed and coated the potatoes.  I removed them and placed them on a cooling rack that I placed on a sheet pan (I covered the sheet pan with parchment paper for easy clean up).  I  then drizzled EVOO all over the chicken and placed the breasts in the dry mix and coated them and placed on same cooling rack with potatoes. I put all in the oven and I let them roast for about 30 minutes. After 30 mins I removed from oven and let the food rest for about 5 minutes. At this point my beans are finished steaming and I sprinkled some bacon pieces on top.  That's it.  I personally didn't like the onion soup mix on the chicken, it gave it a sweet flavor, but Will really like it.  I thought that the it worked great on the potatoes.  I love the potatoes and green beans as is, but next time the chicken will done differently.  Do you have any recommendations for the chicken?  Would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment